Welcome To

Logo 2

Home About Us

Museum

Society News
Current Events

Historical
People

Historical
Places
Historical
Events
Sheldon Historical
Society Past Events
 

The Missisquoi Railroad Bridges (Also called the Central Vermont Railroad Bridge)

The Missisquoi Railroad was chartered in 1869, and a survey was made at once and the work of construction followed, the road being completed in 1870. The first train from Sheldon was on the fourth of July, 1870, and regular trains were soon put on. The railroad spanned the Missisquoi at Sheldon Jct. via a covered bridge that lasted until it burned in 1900.

"The Central Vermont railway bridge over the Missisquoi River at Sheldon Junction was burned this morning shortly after 10 o'clock. It was the longest bridge on the Missisquoi division of the Central Vermont and though built of wood was valued at approximately $15,000, having cost much more than that originally. It was 459 feet long in three spans of 147 feet and 6 inches each with necessary approaches, and was what is called a through wooden or covered bridge.


With its increasing age the time was near at hand when it would eventually have been torn down and replaced by a more modern steel structure.


How the fire started is not accurately known but undoubtedly from the sparks of a locomotive. An excursion train bearing a large number to the Wallace circus in St. Albans had just passed over it as well as the regular passenger train which arrived in this city at 10:30".


St. Albans Daily Messenger, St. Albans, VT 14 Jun 1900

 

 

Built by the American Bridge Co. in 1900 for the Missisquoi/Richford branch of the Central Vermont Railroad, this bridge served until June of 1984 when a locomotive derailed on the northern span, causing its destruction. At the time it was cost prohibitive to replace the span, so limited service on the Richford branch continued until the early 1990s both north and south of this bridge, at which point the line was abandoned. The rail lines have since been torn up and this is now the Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail. A mail order bridge now sits where the destroyed span was, restoring the bridge to a functional state

Design
2 pin connected Pratt through truss spans, with a Mail Order pedestrian Bridge on the northern approach and a small stringer approach on the southern approach

Dimensions
Length of largest span: 153.0 ft.
Total length: 523.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
Also called
CV - Sheldon Junction Bridge

 
 

The CVRR Railroad bridge now the Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail in Sheldon Jct.